Sunday Summer Reading Series
The Sunday Summer Reading Series are a four- to five-week long series of critical discussions on readings chosen and hosted by various artists, curators and organizers in a public park, organized by Lauren Lavery.
The 2021 events will be taking place on Zoom and in-person at public parks in Vancouver, BC. Hosts to be announced soon…stay tuned!
Belinda Kwan (August 2, 2020)
- filling the Klein bottle, an exhibition curated by Kwan which showed at the Varley Art Gallery (Markham), InterAccess (Toronto) and Bunker 2 CAC (Toronto) in 2020. The discussion was hosted online on Zoom.
Dallas Fellini (August 9, 2020)
- Excerpts by Andreas Angelidakis, Kimberly R. Drew, Juliana Huxtable, and Esben Esther Pirelli Benestad, from Façadomy Issue 01: Gender Talents, Edited by Riley Hooker. (*cw: contains transphobic and homophobic slurs*); Trans* – Gender Transitivity and New Configurations of Body, History, Memory and Kinship, by Jack Halberstam (*cw: contains transphobic slurs*; Excerpt from Same Sex Unions in Premodern Europe, by John Boswell. The discussion was hosted in Dufferin Grove Park.
Noor Bhangu (August 16, 2020)
- The Going Insurrection by Sarah Rifky. The discussion was hosted online on Zoom.
Brit Bachmann (August 23, 2020)
- Selections from the archives of Issue Magazine including: “Some are Weather-Wise; Some Otherwise: Criticism in Vancouver” by William Wood; Selected “Spicy Samplings” chosen by Brit Bachmann; A Glossary of terms organized by Brit Bachmann. The discussion was hosted online on Zoom.
Cadence Planthara (August 30, 2020)
- Powr Mastrs Vol. 2 by C.F.; Whereas by Layli Long Soldier; Schizophrene by Bhanu Kapil; My Conversations With Canadians by Lee Maracle. The discussion was hosted in Earlscourt Park.
Larissa Tiggelers (August 5, 2019)
- The chapter, “Why Bother” from Second Thoughts by Angie Keefer. The discussion was hosted in Christie Pits Park.
Vince Rozario (August 11, 2019)
- The chapter, “Representation” by Jaleh Mansoor and “The Problem with Representation” a transcription of a podcast episode by Gabrielle De La Puente and Zarina Muhammad of The White Pube. The discussion was hosted in Dufferin Grove Park.
Mohammad Rezaei (August 18, 2019)
- On Optimism and Despair by Zadie Smith, “by the strike of a match, or her good strike of lightning” by Natasha Chaykowski, and MIA and the Defence of Nuance by Fariha Roisin. The discussion was hosted in Dufferin Grove Park.
Katie Kotler (August 25, 2019)
- “Light Effects: On Miyoko Ito’s Abstract Interventions” by Dan Nadel, “Helen Frankenthaler, Abstract Painter Who Shaped a Movement, Dies at 83” by Grace Glueck for the NY Times and the video, “Hilma af Klint” produced by the Guggenheim. The discussion was hosted at Dovercourt Park.
Safia Siad (September 1, 2019)
- “Love as Political Resistance”, an excerpt from adrienne maree brown’s ‘Pleasure Activism’, and “Where Does Art Get To Live? A Conversation Between Anique Jordan and Michèle Pearson Clarke” from Momus. The discussion was hosted at Sorauren Avenue Park.